We are conducting a search for a Vice President of Operations for the world famous Pier 39, a Top-Ten tourist attraction which draws 8-10 million visitors a year. The VP Operations assists the President in the development of overall goals, operating plans, and policies for the PIER 39 Companies and affiliates, and then executes with their team of over 80 talented professionals. Major constituencies include visitors, tenants, customers, owners, employees, and the community. Their goal is to become the largest destination site in California!
To achieve this goal, the person will need experience in or an aptitude for Property Management, Architecture, Construction, Project Management, Financial Planning, Risk Management, Security, Facilities, Sea Lions, and Landscaping. Did I mention Marine construction (seawalls, piers, and pilings) and Marinas (channels, berths, sea lions)? Or shopping centers, tourist attractions (arcades, carousels, entertainers, sea lions), and infrastructure like parking garages and an aquarium? Oh, and remember the sea lions!
This privately-held facility is run like its own small town, while displaying its welcome mat for all citizens of the world. They work continually to create a fun, safe, welcoming, and memorable experience for all their guests. The VP Operations is responsible for the look, feel, maintenance, safety, and future health of the Pier, and the morale of their team. Working closely with the President, executive team, and owners of the Pier, this person will guide us into the fifth decade of business operations…and beyond. You will be the custodian of the 25-year plan for the Pier, and its constant search for excellence. Read more for the position description….
Reports to the President & CEO
Assists the President in the development of overall goals, operating plans and policies for the PIER 39 Companies and affiliates, and implements partner-approved plans. Directs the activities of the PIER 39 Operations including Facilities, Security, Environmental Services, Landscape, Construction and the PIER 39 Marina to ensure the achievement of business objectives. Exercises judgment in determining management direction for the company that will most adequately meet the needs of each major constituency that the company serves, including customers, tenants, owners and employees. Carries personal leadership responsibility to assure that the interests of each of these key groups are served in a manner that is consistent with company policy.
- Works closely with the President to accomplish the goals, objectives and strategic plans established in cooperation with the managing owners.
- Heads, plans, oversees and coordinates the entire operations of PIER 39 toward the achievement of established operating objectives.
- Collaborates in the planning and formulation of organization policies and practices related to retail store development, architectural design, construction, common area maintenance, security, life safety, emergency response and the PIER 39 Marina.
- Constantly strives to protect the assets of all Moor + South-owned companies.
- Provides operational guidance in analyzing and appraising the effectiveness of PIER 39’s operations.
- Participates in the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of strategic business and performance goals, short- and long-term objectives, plans, budgets, programs and policies.
- Evaluates operating results throughout the organization to ensure that organization growth, maintenance and objectives are being met.
- Directs all Operations staff, ensuring tenant and landlord certification and regulatory compliance with BCDC; the Port of San Francisco; City, State, County, and other regulatory requirements and agreements at the highest level of excellence.
- Oversees the day-to-day building operations including landlord-tenant relations, tenant services, on-going and long-term property maintenance and environmental initiatives.
- Guides and leads other members of management related to operational issues.
- Budgets and monitors capital expenditure activities.
- Overall responsibility for PIER 39 Operations including Facilities, Security, Environmental Services, Landscaping, Construction and the PIER 39 Marina.
- Maintains and ensures compliance with partnership agreements, operating agreements, bylaws and other company legal documents.
- Oversight of public, property and tenant safety programs.
- Initiates and maintains relationships with BCDC; the Port of San Francisco; City, State, County, and other regulatory agencies.
- Recommends operational strategies to President and General Partners.
- Prepares, reviews and assists with special projects as deemed necessary by the President.
- Leadership: Works with the Partners and the President to develop and approve business objectives, policies and plans, which achieve company profitability and development goals. Communicates business objectives and plans within the company. Ensures that plans and policies are consistently understood and correctly interpreted and administered by company executives and managers.
- Management: Assures that the Operations Departments are properly designed to provide functions required for the achievement of their business objectives. Assures that each of these operating units is properly organized, staffed and directed to fulfill its responsibilities. Assures the development of planning and control systems and other management systems that may be required to ensure effective control of each company unit.
- Planning and Analysis: Directs periodic review of company’s strategic plans and market position. Combines this information with corollary analysis of company services, technical capabilities and financial resources; shapes appropriate strategic business plans and policies. Exerts a consistent force for the pursuit and achievement of approved plans for the future development of the company’s business. May act for the Partners in planning and directing investigations and negotiations concerning acquisitions and mergers.
Executive, Management Level. Participates in establishing company policies. Responsible for the overall operational success of PIER 39 and for successfully integrating these activities with other departments. Provides general direction to and review of staff members.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Business or related subject or equivalent work experience.
- Requires 10+ years of business operations management experience.
- Requires 5+ years executive management in fields related to construction, facilities, landscaping, security, life safety, marine structures, and heavy timber structures. Experience in related engineering fields is preferable.
- Requires 5+ years with full P&L responsibility.
- Experience in budget preparation is required.
- Experience in multi-service company preferred.
- Experience in construction management and estimating software, CADD and Microsoft Project is preferred.
For more information on this position or to offer referrals, please contact:
Paul Herrerias, CPA (retired), MS-Human Resources
Managing Director, San Francisco and Silicon Valley offices
P.Herrerias@stantonchase.com (415) 721-7001 x1
About Us: Who is Stanton Chase?
To provide you with an additional introduction to Stanton Chase, we are both a Top Ten global retained executive-search firm, and a Northern California boutique. We are a locally-owned search practice with regional and global reach, enjoying many partners in 75 offices in 42 countries. We have core strength in the Consumer Products, Technology, Financial Services, Non-Profit, and Professional Services industries. We work with many PE-sponsored companies. More information can be found at http://www.stantonchase.com/
Paul Herrerias’ background includes thirty years of executive search and recruiting for dynamic companies. Paul has also assisted in board placements, M&A deals, fundraising, and business team coaching, using his background and master’s degree in HR/Organization Development as well as his CPA license earned while on the audit staff of Deloitte. His bio and photo are found at http://www.stantonchase.com/office/executive-search-firm-in-san-francisco-united-states/